Monday, June 04, 2007

The One When I Became A Quarter Of A Century

Yes, I'm THAT old now...a quarter of a century! No one should freak out when one reaches that number, right? However I am. I am freaking out a little bit. Not really the fact that I am getting old but the fact that I have not accomplished anything much in my life. I'm 25 goddammit and if you look at what I have done so far in my life, it's sad. I'll be damned if I were to say the same thing again in 5 years' time. I've got to write a 5-year plan. I've got to live my life now.

...something I bought for myself, my first original Arsenal jersey...
it was last year's edition and they were on sale...LoL

But my life isn't all too bad, is it? 5 years ago I wouldn't even dare dream of coming here in the UK, let alone living here. Today, I am in Hull, in England, studying, living, working, earning British pounds, drinking British beers, checking out British chicks. Life's great, isn't it?

Yea, I try to convince myself that all the time....

25 years..has it really been that long? My mother would beg to differ. I bet she had a hard time raising me till today. I never really celebrated my own birthdays much. In fact, I don't remember most of my birthdays except one or two. Usually I spend them alone. However, three years ago, for my 22nd birthday, Masami planned a birthday party for me. It was probably the first birthday party of my own that I can remember. I think I stopped celebrating my own birthdays since kindergarten days. I don't know why. I just don't like singing birthday songs. Anyway, that was a nice birthday. I remembered those who went. Jackson, Chee Kit, GP, Siva, Yuen How, Eddy, MK, Leon, Masami of course, Pei Ti, Beatrice, Daniel, Ben, Sean and Ashley. Too bad I didn't have my camera then.

However, the following year, Andrew gathered a few of my Penang friends/ex-schoolmates and celebrated my birthday at a seafood restaurant in Penang. It was a great meal. Cheese mussels...damn!


you will need to understand Penang Hokkien to understand what we said....
...a good day, yes yes...

2006, I didn't celebrate as well. I can't remember what I did. It was a blur. But don't matter because this year...this year I'm going Edinburgh! Yay! My friends here don't know my birthday and I don't intend to tell them. I'll just enjoy my day and secretly wish myself a happy birthday.

*edited*
I got busted. Somehow they found out even though I tried to lie my way out. They got a cake and celebrated with me.



ps. they also branded me as 二五仔 (25-kid aka traitor)

2 Comments:

Blogger Fion_Siaw said...

chin~~~sorry that i 4gotten ur birthday~i just remember it's around june only. SO Happy Birthday 2 U and may ALL your wishes come true =D

7/6/07 3:26 PM  
Blogger Random Tandem said...

Don't feel so bad... I'm in the last quarter of my 25th year... I had a hard time in the beginning, but really. It gets better. Now it's all about the countdown to the big 3-0!

Good luck, and happy birthday!

10/6/07 10:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home